Welcome to the home page of Catholics in Glossop comprising the two parishes of St. Mary Crowned and All Saints. Glossop is a small town in the High Peak District of England, about 10 miles from the city of Manchester. It has a rich Catholic tradition, being the seat of the Duke of Norfolk and home to a large number of Catholic families who helped to build Glossop into a thriving mill town in the Victorian period.
St. Mary Crowned, Glossop is the largest Catholic non-cathedral church in the north of England. Completed in 1886 and built from local stone, this impressive building has many fine architectural features both inside and out. The church is open to visitors on Saturdays from May to October for sightseeing.
All Saints, Old Glossopis the original Catholic church in Glossop, funded by the Duke of Norfolk and built on his lands in 1836. Solidly constructed from stone in the elegant Georgian style and recently refurbished, it mirrors the design of St. Paul’s church in Covent Garden.